McKnights

McKnights

Monday, March 8, 2010

October 2, 2008 The day our life got so much better

My last post explained that I missed out on Oakley's first few months of life here on my blog, so I've decided to go back and reminisce a little so I have documentation of those fun months. I decided to start with the day Oakley was born, October 2nd 2008. He was actually due on the 27th of September, but didn't feel like coming till a week later. Looking back on it, it was probably a good thing because we were finishing up remodeling our kitchen, and with him coming so late we actually had the time to finish it. The plumbing was finished the day we came home from the hospital. Talk about stressful.
Anyway, I couldn't have asked for a better labor and delivery. I'm a little nervous with my next one cause there's no way it can be better then my first. I woke up around 7:00 that morning and was having back pains. I was used to back pain, but this was different. I woke up Wes and he asked if I was in labor. I said I didn't know. I got up and walked around a little, and it just got worse. We decided to just get ready and go to the hospital. Wes works at the hospital where I was delivering so he said he'd just go to work after if it wasn't anything. As he was getting ready the pain got really bad and almost imbareable. I didn't know if I was having contractions or not cause it just hurt all the time, and I thought contractions came and went. I knew this was it though, so I told Wes we needed to hurry cause I was in a lot of pain. It was wierd how fast it went from a little ache to a sharp, deep pain. So we left the house around 8:00 and drove straight to the hospital. I sat in the back with my pillow and even though we only live 5 minutes from the hospital it seemed like forever. When we got there it only took us a few minutes for them to put us in a room and check me out to see if I was really in labor or not. The nurse said I was already dialated to a 6 so we were there for good. I made her get the anesthesiologist right away and he came in by 9:00, and by 9:15 I felt so much better. Ahhhh. We called both of our parents and they came right down to the hospital.The doctor came and checked me and said the baby was posterier, which I think means facing forward, and not backwards, which could be a problem, so he had me lay on my side a wierd way to see if the baby would turn, which he did after about an hour. Around 11:30 the nurse said that I was fully dialated and that we were just waiting for the doctor to get out of a C-section. When he was done he came down, bada-bing bada-boom, fifteen minutes later out came our little guy, Karl "Oakley". I only pushed for 15 minutes. It was nice. He was born at 12:40 pm. So a 5 hour labor. Couldn't have been any better then that. The first thing I noticed on him was his huge hands. They were massive. He had quite a bit of dark hair, and was a hefty little guy. He weighed 9lbs 13oz and was 23 inches long. I didn't expect much less seeing as who his parents are. It's funny cause the nurses in the nursery were all worried about him being diabetic becuase of how big he was, and they couldn't figure out why he would be so big, until they saw Wes. Then they understood.
We had many visitors that day, and it was nice to finally have him here. The coolest part was that our good friends Toshi and Justin who we play volleyball with had their little baby on the same day. She wasn't due for another week, but she's small and had to have a c-section, so they had their cute daughter Taija that morning right as we were getting to the hospital. Sad thing was that she was at a different hospital. So we didn't get to see each other, just pictures over the phone.
I think this was the best day of Wes and my life. We love our little yet big Oakley and couldn't imagine life without him anymore. He makes our days much more fun and enjoyable, and tiring, but we love him and are grateful for his cute spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute little guy! Little considering how BIG he is now! I can't believe it's been almost 18 months...time has flown by! Thanks for sharing 'birth' days with my Taija!

    ReplyDelete