We had been preparing Oakley for a few weeks saying things like "In a few days/weeks you get to wear big boy underwear and no more diapers. Won't that be fun?" and "When you go on the potty you can have treats and prizes. That will be so fun!" Oakley will get excited for almost anything that we're excited about so we pumped him up for the opening day.
Monday night I took him to pick out his own big boy underwear and some fun little prizes for when he would go on the potty. He chose Avenger and Spiderman underwear. So Tuesday morning we just went for it. He chose to wear the Hulk underwear and he said if he gets Hulk wet he'd come and crush him. It worked pretty well. Every 20 minutes a timer would go off and I'd make him sit on the potty. Every time he sat he got a jelly bean. If he went pee, he got a sucker, and if he pooped he would get a prize from a bucket that I had. He also got to put stickers on a chart depending on what he did. When the chart was full he'd get a BIG prize. He didn't put up any fuss and loved getting the jelly beans and putting stickers on his chart. He hadn't had any accidents or successes for about half the day. Finally he looked at me and said he didn't want to poop. I asked him if he had to and he said yes. So we put him on the potty and he had the funniest surprised look on his face when he started peeing. He was so excited and I think I jumped up and down. He was so proud of himself, and he finally got a sucker. He went a few more times that day and even pooped once in the potty. That night his friend came over and he had a few accidents cause he was having too much fun playing, but that's ok, I couldn't have asked for a better first day.
The next day was a different story. After four accidents in a row I didn't know what to do. I just kept making him sit and he wouldn't go, and we went through all the underwear that we had. It was time to do laundry. I was pretty frustrated at the end of that second day, so I found a book that I had gotten from the library called Pottywise from the same authors of Babywise which I loved. I scimmed through and read a few things and it suggested rewarding for being dry not for sitting on the potty. So the next day I explaind to Oakley that he didn't get a jelly bean for sitting on the potty anymore, he would get one if he was dry when I asked him if he was or not. This turned out to work really well. He only had 1/2 an accident all day long. Friday was more of the same. He did so well and didn't have any accidents until I took him to the park. He still hadn't perfected the pooping part, so our time there was cut short. We're still working on that part, but I am exstatic to say that he hasn't had a wet accident since Thursday. That's four whole days, and he even made it through three hours of church, a few car rides, and a play group today. I am so proud of this kid. Now we just need to perfect the messes. He's almost got it, so it shouldn't be too long.
This is a picture of his first success in the potty. He was so proud of himself.
Here he is guzzling down the juice and waiting for it to come out.
Here he is with his BIG prize from filling out his whole sticker chart. It only took him 4 days I think.
He is so big now and he loves showing everyone the different characters that are on his big boy pants. Good job Oak!
No comments:
Post a Comment