A while back I noticed that there was a nest just up about 7 feet from the ground right smack dab in the middle, so I made Wes climb up and see if there was anything in it. There wasn't, so we figured it was from last year and we just hadn't noticed it. Well a few weeks ago Oakley wanted to try climbing the tree, so I helped him up there. I showed him the nest and told him to look inside. He said there were eggs. I wasn't sure if he was lying or not. He knows that eggs go in nests so I thought he was just saying that. I pulled myself up into the tree, feeling not so young and agile anymore, and lo and behold, there were some bright blue eggs.
Aren't they the most perfect little eggs? We were so excited. So we've been checking up on them here and there and last week we looked in and found this:
Four little chicks sleeping in their nice warm nest. At first I didn't think they were alive, but then I saw them breathing and their little bodies were moving up and down. We hurried and snapped this picture and let them be. We didn't want to get attacked by the mamma bird.
They are growing and growing and now they are getting more feathers. Soon we'll look out and they won't be there, they will have flown the coop. I'm sure Oakley will be sad when this happens, cause he really loves checking on them.
Last night I finally spotted the momma bird and got this picture and this video of her feeding the babies. It is pretty cool. I hope you enjoy.

No comments:
Post a Comment