McKnights
Monday, February 14, 2011
What an end to our Valentines Day
Well, today started out as a pretty good day, and ended up not so good. Oak got to play at his friend's house this morning while I went to a meeting and then cousin Kayla came over to play while her mom went shopping. We scored some free burritos at Chipotle for dinner (BOGO free) then I went to volleyball while my boys stayed home and played. When I was done, I texted Wes and told him I was on my way home. He said Oak wasn't asleep yet cause he kept climbing out of his crib and coming out of his room. Now Oakley is almost two and a half years old, and he's the size of a 4 year old, so he's been physically able to climb out of his crib for a while now, he just never has, until the other day. I put him in his crib cause he was throwing a fit, and the next thing I know I hear a big thud and there he is in the living room. Then the next morning he climbed out at 5:30AM and stood in the hall calling for me. Anyway, he figured out that he can get out of his crib whenever he wants now so tonight he really tried us. We finally put his crib mattress on the ground with pillows all round it and put the child lock on the inside of his door so he couldn't get out. Well, that only worked for a little while, until he ripped the plastic child-lock doornob off and came out of his room again. He did this twice. By this time it was 10:30ish. So much for a romantic Valentines huh? Finally, with a little help from our friend Duct (if you know what I mean) we found a way to make the childproof doornob stay on. We put him back in the room, and an hour later, after much crying and screaming and banging on the door, it was silent. I know you might think this is child abuse, and that's what I told Wes, but he said it's just called parenting, and I agree with him. I know it's the right thing to do, I just always feel so bad. Judge all you want, it's almost 12:00 and it's been quiet for a half hour. We did peek under his door to see if we could see anything, but he put his blanket and teddy bear there to block the view. I just barely opened the door to peek in and turn the light off, and I could hardly open it cause he's sleeping right in the way. I hope he sleeps well, and I hope tomorrow night is more successful. It looks like I'm in the market for a new bed. I need to hurry and finish his room so we can put it in there. Anyway, just thought I'd share while I'm awake waiting to get tired. Oh ya, there was another good part to the day. When I got home from volleyball, Wes had melted chocolate and had strawberries for me to dip into it. I love chocolate dipped strawberries. It was so sweet. Thanks hun. They were delish!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We put Taija in a big girl bed several months ago and went through the same thing...her coming in to our room in the middle of the night, but lucky for us she hasn't figured out the child proof plastic door thing. For the first few nights/nap times she would bang on the door to get out, but after just a few days of tears she stopped. I hope it only takes Oak a few days to adjust - good luck! By the way if it brings peace to your mind (it does mine) I tell myself the reason we 'lock' Taija in her room is if there is an emergency we have to know that she is in her room and not somewhere else in the house!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tosh. That helps. I hope it only takes a few nights too.
ReplyDeleteI am very impressed with your parenting! I need a bit of your strength, every night I think I am going to let Avery cry it out and I am a huge sucker and can't last more than 15 minutes! No wonder she dosen't sleep through the night!
ReplyDelete