McKnights

McKnights

Thursday, September 16, 2010

A day at the Fair

Yesterday Oakley and I got to go to the State Fair with our friends Jeana, Kaelyn, and Brittney. Oakley loved seeing all the animals and he kept asking to pet them.
He especially wanted to pet the cows, but those cows are huge. Some of them were almost as tall as me. He did get to pet one that was laying down though.

We got to see the cute bunnies, and the little ponies.

As you can tell Brittney liked the goats, and they liked her too. Especially this one that was smiling at her.
These baby pigs were really funny. They were all fighting to get a spot to eat. Notice how the one on the bottom of the picture is totally ontop of another one. There were 8 little piglets all eating at the same time. I just thought, poor mommy pig.
The best part of the Fair was the little kids "Helping hands" part. It's a little section that the kids can walk through and there are different stations inside different sheds where you stop and do farm stuff.

First we got a bucket and filled it with kernels of corn. Oakley liked playing in the kernals. He almost fell in once as you can see.

Then we took them to the next shed and fed the cow, or played in the kernals more like Oakley did. Then we got to milk the fake cow. Oakley was a little freaked out by it, so mom did it for him.
Then we got to pick an apple off a tree and put it in our basket. Oak and I have done this on a real orchard in Maine, so he knew what he was doing.

Next we got to pick a seed and plant it in their garden. Oak just threw the seed in and I burried it. He did like playing with the shovel though.
After that he got to choose which crop he wanted to pick. He chose the carrot and put it in the basket.
They had these cool little tractors, but the petals were a little too far from Oakley's feet, and he doesn't know how to pedal, so mom had to push him along.
Next he got to brush the sheeps wool and gather some up in his basket.
Here's farmer Oak and farmer Liz.
At the end, we got to "sell" all our goods that we collected, so we put them back in their assigned bins and got some fake money from a volunteer there.
They had a little store at the end and everything was $1, or a fake dollar. It had cereal, crackers, granola bars, milk, fruit snacks, and more. Of course Oakley chose "snacks", which is what he calls them. They are his favorite treat. He paid the cashier for it with his $1. I think he really enjoyed doing all the activities. He was kind of confused some of the time, but I think he was a great little farmer.
And here we are being measured like how they measure horses. Mommy is 19 hands tall and Oakley is 9 1/2 hands tall.
We had a fun time and will probably go back next year.

5 comments:

  1. That pig picture is great. That's how I feel sometimes :0 The fair looked like a lot of fun. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good documentary of the day, it was so detailed with such great pics I felt like I was there...oh wait I was there :) Good day! Thanks for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FUN adventure...I wish we could have gone! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are enjoying your pictures from Maine today. Love Oakley's hair! You need to keep the horse height picture of you two and go back when he is 15 to take another for comparison. Adam is now 6'2"+ w/out shoes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sad that Ari missed that part. Glad you guys had a great time at the Fair.

    ReplyDelete