This year Girls Junior Nationals were in Indianapolis. I originally wasn't going to go, but then when it got closer, I wanted to get back with all my friends and colleagues that I had met the year before. I just couldn't stay away, so off I went.
It's always fun to visit a city I've never seen before. My hotel room was on the 14th floor so we had an awesome view of Lucas Oil Stadium, where the Colts play. And just across the street was the building where the Pacers play.
Almost every night we got together and had dinner, those of us who didn't have late games. It was fun to be with my class of 2018 pals. One night I got to walk around down town and they had one of the buildings lit up like the American Flag. It was pretty cool.
Another day, Kaylene, my roommate, and I were able to have a little fancy dinner on the top of a building, and the restaurant rotated. I got a cool time lapse of us rotating as we ate. It was pretty cool.
Another night, my JN friends, Suzie and Bev and I, went out scootering around the town. They had these electric scooters that you could rent and ride around. We went to an icecream place on the other side of town, Subzero. It was fun to ride around with them. The next day, the people in charge of the tournament banned officials from riding the scooters because two people had gotten seriously injured. I'm glad we were all ok, and glad we went before the ban.
*I got to work my first finals match. It was the 14's National division and it turned out great. No issues, and it was a pretty easy match.
*The motto of the week was "Got Nuts". The reason being, one day in the convention center I was working with my friend Lori. She was the R1 and I was the R2. During a dead ball the PA system came on and they said that they had a lost kid at the tournament desk so if anyone was missing a kid come get him. And then the announcer said, "His shirt says Got Nuts". Lori and I just started busting up laughing and we had to take a few minutes to compose ourselves before we could proceed with the match. It was hilarious, at least to us, so the rest of the week we just used "Got Nuts" for everything. The picture below is me, with some nuts ;)
The best part of going to Nationals is seeing all of my friends that I made from the year before. Here we all are, enjoying doing what we love together.
These convention centers are huge, and it's amazing how organized everything is, but after 6 days in there it was nice to leave. I flew home through Phoenix and this was the sunset as I arrived at the Phoenix airport. So beautiful.
























No comments:
Post a Comment