McKnights

McKnights

Monday, October 7, 2013

Pirate Party

This year Oakley asked to have a "Pirate Party" for his birthday. One of his friends got him watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and we borrowed The Lego Pirates game from my sister and he's been playing that, so I guess that's where he came up with the idea.
It was actually pretty fun to plan. Thank goodness for Pinterest!
Each of the kids got a pirate hat and a mustache, although the mustaches didn't stay on very long, and that hats were kind of small, but it was the thought that counts right?
 
We let Oakley invite five friends cause he was turning five years old. I think that's a good rule to go by. It was much more manageable compared to last year.
 
First they all got to walk the plank that I made. They loved walking and running across and then jumping in to the lion pool that we have.
Even the two littlest ones tried it. Tyson loved it, but Parker wasn't so sure about it.
 
Then we played musical islands, which is like musical chairs but you had to find an "island" to sit on when the music stopped. This pretty much just turned into a run around game and pile on the island game, but they liked it.
Afterwards we had pizza and root beer, one of Oakley's favorites.
 
Then I let each of the kids take a 30 second turn digging for buried treasure in our turtle sand box. I had put plastic coins and little treasure chests and pencils in there. Once everyone had a turn then I let them loose to just find whatever they could. I think they liked it.
The best part of the night was the treasure hunt. I had taken pictures of different places around the yard and in the house and I hid them at each place. So they would look at the picture and run to the place and find the next picture. It was so funny to watch them run from place to place. They were really good at taking turns opening the envelopes. A few times Oakley would look at the picture and then yell "Follow Me!" and start running to the next place. 
The end of the treasure hunt was inside the hot tub building. At first they went in and were looking for another clue, and then they finally realized that there was a treasure chest right there on the floor in front of them. Haha, they were funny. Inside the chest were some chocolate coins, an inflatable pirate sword for everyone, and a goody bag for everyone. They had fun sword fighting afterwards.
Then last but not least we had cake and ice cream. My friend Sheri made this adorable cake for Oakley. She is so talented. Maybe some day I'll attempt one myself, but for now I won't stress out about it.
Oak loved his party and I enjoyed throwing it for him. He's grown up so much in these five years. He is usually very thoughtful and loving, and he is my big little boy. Love him!

1 comment:

  1. What a FUN party theme!!! I love pinterest for party ideas..just starting to plan Luke's for the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete