McKnights
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Oakley's name
So one of my friends had a post on her blog about how they came up with their daughter's name. It was pretty interesting, so I thought i would do the same. Our sons name is Karl Oakley McKnight. Karl with a 'K' for all the ladies out there. (My cousin Karl said this once when he was being interviewed on tv about unicycling, and I thought it was really funny.) Anyway, his first name, Karl, is a family name. Wes' first name is Karl, his dad's name is Karl and his grandpa's name is Karl, so Oakley is the fourth Karl in the family. It was actually my idea to have Oakley's first name be Karl, not Wes'. He didn't really care, but I thought it sounded good with Oakley, and once Wes realized his initials were going to be KO, he was hooked. Now for the juicy part. This happened about six years ago, during our first year of marriage. We were sitting in sacrament meeting one sunday, and we were bored. Often times I would open the hymn book and read the stuff in the back, or look through the songs, so we pulled one out and started looking through it. We saw the names at the bottom of the pages and I don't remember which one of us started talking about names for our future children, but we went with it. On page 202, 'Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful' we saw the name Frederick Oakeley. He is the one who translated this hymn. It's spelled a little wierd, but once I said it outloud and respelled it, I actually liked it, and so did Wes. I think he liked it most, because if he ever becomes famous he'll have a built in sponsor. :) Anyway, that's how we found the name Oakley, and we've liked it ever since.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is very interesting - thanks for sharing! I knew about the Karl and the KO parts, but never knew how you picked out Oakley...very cute!
ReplyDeleteHey thats a cool story! I just figured you got it from the shades...Can't wait to see Mr. Karl Oakley with a "K" again!
ReplyDelete