McKnights

McKnights

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 2020

Oakley's club basketball team, the Force, won all of their games in the league tournament to put them in the championship game. Oak is really getting good at basketball and he has yet to find someone taller than him on the court. Unfortunately, because of the Covid-19 outbreak the championship game was cancelled so they never got to play. 
On March 12, I woke up really early to catch a flight to Denver to ref in the Crossroads tournament. Before I left I checked to make sure that the tournament was still on because a few things were starting to get cancelled because of the Covid-19 Virus that had started spreading in the country. I flew to Denver and as soon as I landed, my friend that was on the same flight said that they just emailed him and said the tournament was cancelled. Ugggghh! So I got off the plane, grabbed my checked bag, and turned right around and booked a flight back. I took these two pics in the airport in Denver. This was the start to everything shutting down. I guess I at least got to see the sun rise in Denver.
The next week school was cancelled and everyone had to do homeschooling. I, being a former teacher, know that kids with schedules and structure thrive more, so I created our own little schedule and found a few things for the kids to do to help with Reading, Math and Writing.
The boy's favorite part of "school" was the field trips. We walked up the street to a fun canal trail that we had never been on. We looked for fun rocks so that we could take them home and paint them for our art project. While at the trail, we found a little rope swing that you could hold on to and cross the canal. Oak did it and Tyson wanted to try too, but Oak pushed him a little too early and Tyson fell and scraped up his leg and arm on some branches below. We ended up having a good first aid lesson that day.
We eventually got to painting the rocks and the boys loved it. Dax just had colors everywhere on his rock, Tyson made two Titan rocks for the Tennessee Titans, and Oak made a Cardinals rock and a German rock. Homeschooling win right here.
Because of the pandemic, everything was cancelled and we were suppose to just stay home as much as possible and stay away from others. We didn't see our extended family forever and we didn't go anywhere other than the grocery store. Eventually we decided it was safe to go to fields around and play as long as we stayed away from others. One day we went to Churchill Junior High and played on their field. The boys were glad to get our and play. We also walked across the overpass near there and saw the tons of locks that people have put on the fence.
Home schooling got a little easier once the teachers figured out what to do. They would have video calls with the kids once a week, and then they would load assignments onto the computer for the kids to do each day. One of the ladies in our ward brought over these cool puzzles that were blank, so we could make our own puzzles. That was awesome, I even ordered more on amazon for us. Waffle Love had an awesome deal one day that if the school kids did whatever their parents needed them to they could get a free waffle, so we definitely took advantage of that.
This was one of Tyson's assignments he was given from his teacher. It asked him to find the sum and as you can see, he just drew a picture of where the sum was. (eye roll) I had tons of time on my hands as well, so I did puzzles and tried some new yummy recipes.
The first week that everything was shut down, Wes and I were laying in bed and all of a sudden around 7:00 AM the ground just started moving back and forth. It was kind of like were were on a pile of jello and the bed was being pushed back and forth. I just spread my arms out to grab the bed and we rode through it. Wes got up and checked on the kids. Tyson and Dax were downstairs and said they thought it was dad playing a joke on theym by shaking the house. Oak was asleep, but got woken up by the moving. We were all ok, and the only thing that happened to the house, was that my little wood clovers on a shelf in the living room tipped over. That was the first earthquake that I had lived through. It was a little nerve wracking. I cancelled home school that day and just sat on the couch watching the news. What a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment